Tuesday, January 13, 2009

A Plan That Makes (Ad)Sense

by Aaron Mystery

Keep your friends close. Keep your enemies closer.

Everyone knows the Google web monopoly is about the ads (they thought they could sell their online office software, but found out better). Big corporate media partners to YouTube (Warner Music being the latest) are ending content sharing agreements with the viral video site because they are disappointed with the paltry sums of money they're making from YouTube.

I've never made a single penny off YouTube, even after all those video views, because they have some kind of gauntlet you have to run before you can have ads on your videos; between me hating the idea of ads on my vids and YouTube hating my content, that wasn't going to happen. There is no generic "per click" view on user uploaded videos, as most of you probably know. As a solution, I started my own subscription-based pay site and the rest is history.

So what now? Now I see what Google/Blogger/ AdSense does with my application for an AdSense account that I submitted today. I'm going to continue to criticize YouTube and its parent company Google in my blogs, so it would be nice to know (a) if these bastards will approve my application in the first place; and (b) if Google really does generate any revenue off Blogger.

There's not really much more to be said about AdSense until I hear back. Once I have an account up and running, I can start to extrapolate a lot of info, such as per click pays, "relevant" ad choices, etc.

Come here, Google, I've got a great big bear hug for you, you anti-Free Speech monopolistic fiends.

Aaron Mystery is the sole owner and artist behind Suckermouth.com, and one half of the band Brethren and the Evil Empire. He currently has over 6,000,000 video views on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment